5 Common Electrical Problems In Your Home
When it comes to the electrical installation in your household, your safety is the highest priority. From flickering lights caused by loose switches to overloading circuits, take a read through these common electrical problems that may be present in your home.
1. Loose,Cracked & Burnt Switches & Outlets
This may be the most common problem that electricians come across in residential properties. Over time the plastic light switches and power outlets start to break down and expose the metal components inside the accessories. This presents a danger of electric shock and should be replaced immediately.
Light switches and power outlets generally break down from age with normal wear and tear, overuse, heat exposure and incorrect installation. Loose connections inside the accessories can also present an electrical fire risk. As you can see from the photo of the single outlet below, due to loose pins inside the outlet, it was causing the electricity to arc whenever an appliance was plugged in resulting in the outlet to burn and melt.
2. Overloading Circuits
In this day and age we have endless gadgets and appliances that require so much power consumption. Unfortunately the majority of homes across Sydney cannot handle such demand due to the wiring and circuits that were installed during construction. It is more common during winter when the heaters and electric blankets get pulled out of the closet.
It is also common to find incorrect circuit protection devices installed. This can result in the cable carrying more current than it is rated, an in time can melt and create an electrical fire and risk of electrocution.
It is recommended to engage an electrical contractor to advise you on your existing installation to see how how you can avoid this problem.
3. Lights and Power Outlets Working Intermittently
If you have ever noticed that your lights or powerpoints are working at random times, it could be a result of a loose connection. It can be caused by poor installation, rodents and disturbances from people, such as entering the roof space and knocking some cabling around.
This should be looked at immediately as a loose connection can result in a electrical fire and appliance failure.
4. Faulty Motors In Exhaust Fans, Ceiling Fans and Rangehoods.
It is safe to say that at least every home in Sydney has either a exhaust fan, ceiling fan or rangehood installed in their home. The common thing between these accessories is that they all are built with a motor.
As they are used for ventilation, it is necessary that they are maintained and cleaned regularly. By not doing so, the motor will not last as long.
In time it is possible that motor will become "ceased" and no longer function correctly. When this occurs it is possible that the motor windings can burn out and start a fire.
It is recommended that when an appliance with a motor stops working, do not continue to try and use it.
5. High Electricity Bills
With the cost of electricity continuing to rise year in year out there are many households that can save on their bills by doing some simple upgrades throughout the home.
- Upgrade any old power hungry appliances such as fridges, freezers and washing machines.
- Upgrade your lighting to LED. You can save up to 80% on your lighting power consumption.
- Take advantage of the Off Peak Tariffs provided by your electricity provider.
- Increase the natural lighting by installing skylights.
- Install ceiling fans instead of air conditioning.
- In winter, replace your old oil heaters for new energy saving electric heaters.
- Install window tint to reduce the amount of heat by the sun, saving on air conditioning usage.
What to do if you come across these problems?
If you have any of these problems in your home, it is highly recommended you call an electrician. Electrical safety is no joke and should be taken very seriously, get in touch with Danjac Electrical Group today and our licensed electricians will be able to make your home electrically safe!